Saturday, January 17, 2009

Culture-collaboration

Funny experience today:

So I’m in Yu-Yu’s Asian Food Market with four of my Chinese friends. As soon as we walked in, one scene really caught my attention. There’s this Hispanic kid with his grandma (in the Asian food market?!) and he's speaking in Spanish to his abuela about a box of Green Tea. He was talking to a Chinese guy who was working at the store. The poor man spoke little English, and the poor grandma spoke little English. And here was this 10-year-old kid, translating between them. It was the greatest transaction of cultures I've seen in a long time.

On another note, last Sunday night I had dinner with some new international students. I have never in my life sat at a table with people from such diverse cultures. The countries represented at our table were India, Belgium, Venezula, Brazil, Korea, and US.

Ah, the fresh wind of diversity.... I love it.

No comments: